Why the sudden surge in interest for the travel industry? Here are a few facts to consider when looking at a travel career as a career option.
Here are the facts:
- Travel is a $7 Trillion dollar industry expected to double to $14 Trillion within the next decade.
- This lucrative industry is currently growing 23% faster than the global economy.
- A key factor in this growth phenomenon is the stream of baby boomers that are retiring, or getting ready to retire.
- Baby boomers are retiring at a rate of 1 every 8 seconds.
- Travel was rated the number one thing these baby boomers intend to do when they do retire.
When considering a career in the travel industry, there are several options available for those looking to work from home.
There is an increased demand for qualified travel agents, due to the explosive growth of the industry as a whole. To become a certified travel agent, your options are not limited to the traditional brick and mortar setting. Many reputable travel agencies now offer options for the individual looking for a legitimate home based business.
While doing your due diligence in researching whether this industry is a fit for you, consider that there are excellent income opportunities available to work from home.
If your goal is to work as an independent travel agent from the comfort of your own home, consider working as an online travel agent.
Here are some companies that you can research, that offer excellent training. Some of the companies will hire you as an employee, while others offer the freedom of being your own boss, and setting your own hours.
Do your due diligence!
- Research each company carefully, and make it a priority to understand the compensation plan.
- Know what training is available, and whether the company will offer you the opportunity to become certified.
- Does the company have IATA, IATAN, ARC and CLIA affiliations?
- What is the initial investment? Are there additional costs associated for licensing, or becoming certified?
- If you are considering a work at home position, what kind of support is offered?
Are you a right fit for the travel industry?
Lets break down the qualifications that will determine whether you are suited for this challenging, but rewarding career.
Travel agents should have a minimum of a high school diploma.
Travel agents should have a love for travel. Enthusiasm and a love for working with people are crucial elements for success in this industry.
Travel agents should possess excellent multi-tasking and organization skills.
Great communication skills, as well as computer skills are essential.
Travel agents should possess a professional, courteous demeanor when working with suppliers, and the general public.
Attention to detail and accuracy are very important. Some sales ability is very helpful as well.
Now, the benefits of becoming a travel agent
The benefits of becoming a travel agent are many. I have listed the top three.
Travel agents save up to 80% on travel to many of the worlds exclusive resorts and destinations. These discounts include, but are not limited to:
Complimentary upgrades Hotel room upgrades and discounts
Car rental discounts and upgrades
Theme park discounts
FAM trips, also known as familiarization trips. Suppliers want travel agents to have first hand knowledge of their facilities, so that the travel agent can make a recommendation based on personal knowledge and first hand experience.
The supplier will offer discounts and other perks, and roll out the red carpet to ensure the travel professional has an outstanding time.
Tax Benefits for individuals who chose to do this profession as an independent travel agent. Consult your CPA or tax professional for more information regarding this benefit.
Summary: How Do I become a travel agent?
In summary, becoming a travel agent can be a lucrative and rewarding career. Should you decide that you possess the skills and abilities needed for success, you can look forward to a promising career.
Get Started: Do a search online using the keywords: become a travel agent, how do I become a travel agent, or online travel agents.